Cybersecurity concerns include hacking with the motive of stealing sensitive user information and blackmailing the companies to extort money in return for decrypting the hacked network. Such attacks cause grave losses to all businesses alike. Which is why cybersecurity experts suggest that companies should strengthen network security in order to protect all the IoT devices and the information within. But the question is, how? How to implement such techniques that can keep hackers out of the network system? And, the answers are listed in the guide below.
- Focus On Strengthening The Password
A strong backdoor password is the first lock to keep hackers out of your IoT devices. Unguarded devices with the default and weak passwords are the ones that are mostly targeted. Therefore follow the following 3 password tips so that your devices aren’t vulnerable to an easy security breach.
- A good password is ideally 12-20 characters long. If you cannot come up with something that long, ensure that the password, at least, is not less than 8 characters.
- A good password is unique. It is complex and should be a blend of letters, numbers, and symbols to make it less guessable.
- A good password is effective only for as long as it is exclusive. Thus, do not repeat the password.
- Focus On Using Advanced Authentication Methods
Advanced authentication methods like Multi-factor authentication enhance the cybersecurity manifolds. When the system/network can be accessed only when a user can clear different security layers (that must include biometrics), things become safer on the web.
- Focus On Network Division
Network division or network segmentation is a strongly suggested cybersecurity technique that all companies must adopt. Build multiple isolated networks and use those networks to save only bits and pieces of sensitive information. When and if a company suffers a security breach, hackers fail to hijack the entire company. As a result, the damage can be minimized.
- Focus On Primary Security Layers
Despite there are advanced cybersecurity techniques, the relevance of the basic ones like firewall and antivirus remain significant. Thus, always install an antivirus and firewall. Some of the things to take care of when using the software include the following.
- Never use the pirated version.
- Install updates so that bugs are removed timely.
- Conduct internal network testing tools to eliminate bugs from the network and cloud storage.
Conclusively, adopting all the above-listed tips can reduce the risk of a security breach.